Chomsky & Hitch on Election

Nancy Bauer/Dennis Perrin bauerperrin at mindspring.com
Mon Nov 6 11:18:25 PST 2000

>>There are more conservatives than liberals talking sense about things - mainly
>>libertarian issues - that matter more than Roe v Wade...
>
>Ah. Christopher Hitchens. Our latest neoconservative...
>

>Brad DeLong

I don't want to get into a defense of Hitch, partly because he can more than defend himself, and because I, too, differ with him on numerous topics (we exchanged conflicting mails on the bombing of Serbia, for instance). But he is correct to point out that in many cases, "conservatives" are taking new looks at their old positions, especially regarding capital punishment, but also dealing with privacy rights and the Drug War. Mainstream libs, the ones who are full-Gore, say little about these issues, especially at election time, when all must play down, ignore or excuse the vile and rather non-progressive features of the Holy Dem Ticket. Has Jesse Jackson, to cite one Gore apologist, challenged Gore on any of the issues he claims to champion? If so, I haven't heard it. Last time I checked, the Rev was in full-support of the Drug War, unlike a growing number of Republican politicians. What's his current take on capital punishment? NAFTA? Welfare reform? Again, I hear nothing.

At the grassroots, those on the right and left share many concerns and agree on many issues. The old lib scare tactics are well behind the cultural curve (the same holds true for many mainstream Repubs). It's a different world down below.

As for Hitch's Roe v. Wade remark, we all know how admittedly squeamish he is on the issue, but I know he's against repeal, and his point, as I understand it, is that any attempt at repeal by Bush would be devastating to the GOP. Only the Dems, who have sold others down the river, could really pull it off; and given the shrinking access to abortion for poor women under Clinton/Gore, I tend to agree with that assessment.

DP