Waiting for Stalingrad

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Mon Nov 6 14:10:05 PST 2000

. . . But could you guys explain to me how this would actually work -- how Nader causing the defeat of Gore would either not change things or make them worse for the left in the Democratic party? The DLC strategy was always based on the reality that moving right gained more votes in the center than it lost them on the left because the left had nowhere to go. But if the Democrats lost an election because they lost more votes on the left than they gained them in the center, why wouldn't that call this strategy into question? . . .

because they are not rational beings. The ocean liner of their minds is not so easily turned around.

There has been some recognition on their part of a need for rapprochement, but it hasn't gone very far. Maybe it will go further, maybe not. I couldn't say.

max