Building a snowball that doesn't melt was Re: Katha v Yoshie

Lisa & Ian Murray seamus at accessone.com
Mon Nov 6 14:25:29 PST 2000

>>Lastly, the Greens are indeed a small force now, but they _can_
become bigger. But if liberal & leftist folks kept saying that they wouldn't work with them because they were now small, well, then, they would _never_ become bigger! The same goes for any social movement -- at the beginning, any movement is minuscule. We shouldn't issue a self-fulfilling prophesy ("it's a tiny movement, so I won't join, and I _discourage_ everyone from joining" & later "see, it ain't growing, it's still tiny, I told you so!") that would doom any movement.

Yoshie

******** Amen!!! This is precisely what we need to think about for post-election strategizing on what our priorities will be that can mobilize people to swarm against the barriers to what we're slowly but surely trying to figure out what it is we need/want. The prioritizing process has it's own poliitics that we're going to have to deal with in as non-competitive a manner as possible. As for big issues for North American activists that will take time to organize, two outstanding candidates for mobilizing are the Free Trade of the Americas conference in Canada next spring and of course, paying Alan Greenspan and that cult of patriarchical, racist etc etc old geezers, the US ruling class, a visit next August while their vacationing in the wild west. Any other suggestions are most welcome. Find the fissures...............

Ian