election demographics

Brad DeLong delong at econ.Berkeley.EDU
Mon Nov 6 17:21:49 PST 2000

>At 04:53 PM 11/6/00 -0800, you wrote:
>>>Do you really believe half of all the citizens of this country are "clueless
>>>bozos"?
>>>That's more than a little arrogant,don't you think?
>>> John Thornton
>>
>>I tried to hedge it a little. But I do think that if you don't vote,
>>you are making a substantial mistake?
>>
>>Don't you?
>>

>Yes. I just got through teaching an Intro to Economics class. I told them
>that the majority of economists work with models of human beings that say
>they will not vote. I told them to make sure they did. (-;

But, as Alberto Alesina once said, in modern economics-of-politics you are *forbidden* to ask why people vote--even though it has only an infinitesimal chance of affecting their lives and spends time that could be spent doing other things.

Thus, Alberto says, if you want to get published in the APSR, you have to (a) assume people have a direct utility taste for voting, yet (b) assume also that when they do vote, they think "gosh darn it! I know that it's silly for me to be here, but now that I'm here I'll vote my narrowly-defined individualistic self interest!"

You're not allowed to wonder whether the taste for voting might also be a taste for voting for your perception of the general will...

Brad DeLong