election demographics

Lisa & Ian Murray seamus at accessone.com
Mon Nov 6 18:13:42 PST 2000

>>Think for a moment about who doesn't vote.
********

Citizens politically and economically disenfranchised by the cumulative effects of the last 50 years of labor law, the destruction of the spirit of the civil rights laws, the inability of those who held office to maintain adequate salaries for those who educate our young blah blah blah......

>>Think for a moment about

in whose interest it is that so many people abstain.

********** Uh, the ruling class? the top 1% of wealth holders? The geriatrics who can't see past the next 10Q they have to file with the SEC?

>>Think about

whose interest it is to denigrate pleas for higher participation as

"elementary school civics."

*******

I'd rather think about those who are demanding that all US citizens have equal access to a Phd level education [and no I don't mean to romanticize "higher learning"] and how to get them to do mass demonstrations to achieve the same. But since collective action and organizing have been taught by apologists for neoclassical economics to be prohibitively costly if not futile, I guess you mean by the above the same folks I guessed at in your second sentence.

Ian