The Stakes Of Electoral Politics

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Nov 7 07:30:11 PST 2000

Back in '96, I interviewed R. Emmett "Bob" Tyrell, the guiding light of the right-wing American Spectator, on the topic of conservatives' views of Dole. I brought up the issue that scared liberals always like to summon: a Republican president would mean turning the White House over to bible thumpers and brownshirts. Tyrell laughed, and said that Republicans use that right-wing rhetoric to energize their base, and then ignore them once in office. I said, you mean the same way Dems talk about civil rights and tne environment, and then govern in the interests of Wall Street and the Fortune 500 once in office? Tyrell said, "Yes."

Doug