Lonely on LBO

Rob Schaap rws at comedu.canberra.edu.au
Tue Nov 7 23:32:52 PST 2000

G'day all,

>>>It's very lonely being for the Less Evil Gore instead of the Good Ralph on
>>>LBO.
>>
>>I must confess, after much airing of Grave Concern about Gore here
>>on the list, I reverted to type once again and voted the straight
>>Democratic ticket this a.m. Thus, I have not only betrayed my
>>conscience but, most likely, have also backed a loser. Doesn't get
>>any better than that!
>>
>>Carl
>
>Optimism of the will!
>
>And in the long run optimism of the intellect as well...

So I see they've voted for a dead governor in one state. Pity it wasn't a national option ...

CNN has called Dubya president this very minute. I realise the late booths might yet call CNN a liar (actually, they've just called themselves a liar; they called Gore a few hours ago - competition, for that first correct call in this instance, has shown itself to make for pretty ordinary electoral coverage), but mebbe this'll get some belated talk happening about the voting system. How democratic is it when you lot get caught up having (well, you didn't have to) to vote for a candidate other than the one you want? Shit, you don't even get to express your preference - never mind actually be relevant to the polity!

And how democratic that Nader is gonna wear some vicious accusations now that the Dems mighta lost? That might scare off a few potential third-partyers, too.

Oh well, we're gonna find out a lot of things now, I s'pose ...

Cheers, Rob.