Life, thy name is irony (was: Re: Lonely on LBO)

Marco Anglesio mpa at the-wire.com
Wed Nov 8 02:06:15 PST 2000

On Wed, 8 Nov 2000, Chuck Grimes wrote:
> Breathless. Meanwhile the popular west coast votes are stacking
> up as a Gore popular lead of fifty thousand. So, we are set up with an
> electorial college going one way and the popular vote the other.

I think that this was the Gore strategy two short days ago. :)

NBC has an analyst onscreen who thinks that the assignment of electoral college votes in Florida will be thrown into confusion and delay with the introduction of legal proceedings. I tend to agree - even if Gore isn't personally inclined to call in the lawyers, there will be considerable political pressure to do so.

If I recall correctly, weren't the votes of two states in the 1824(?) election decided by a commission after the final vote was disputed, and those states were vital to the eventual winner? Or do I recall incorrectly?

Finally, even if Bush is assigned the 25 electoral votes from Florida, I suspect that there will be considerable pressure, both political and personal, on the existing electors to turn coat on their parties and vote for Gore in the electoral college. I wouldn't doubt that that would occur as well. Perhaps, in fact, it is for the best if they were faithless.

(Admittedly, I'd probably be singing a different tune if the roles were reversed. However, I'm fine with being a hypocrite.)

Cheers,

Marco