Green Strategy: Replace Electoral College with National Instant Runoff

Peter K. peterk at enteract.com
Wed Nov 8 06:27:36 PST 2000

>Such a strategy would build bridges with progressive Dems (since it would
>highlight why Gore should become President) while also pushing a system
that
>would allow the Greens to garner far more than 5% in the next Presidential
>debate. Essentially, there is potential for the Greens to cut a deal with
>the Dems to support Gore for President in exchange for radically opening
the
>political system to third party voting.
>
>This is a unique political moment- unique not in the rhetorical sense but
>the truly once in history sense - which Nader and the Greens could use to
>push to radically reshape the political terrain.
>
>-- Nathan Newman

Interesting idea. The Democrats could initiate this too, of course, but I suspect their corporate (i.e. dominant) supporters like things the way they are. :D

I also suspect that the Greens might have achieved the 5% they needed had not a number of potential Nader voters succumbed to the moral blackmail of Democratic Party loyalists. Last night on TV, former Clinton Press Secretary Mike McCurry (sp?) hopped up on his high horse and scolded any Nader voters who might have been watching. This caused me to give the TV the finger and hope Bush wins just to spite hacks like McCurry who did well by themselves while running the Democratic Party into the ground.
:D

Peter