election demographics

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Wed Nov 8 06:55:38 PST 2000

At 02:24 PM 11/8/00 +0000, Justin wrote:
>Gore. But the Repugs are worse than they were under Nixon, too; and the Dems
>are are only marginally better than the Repugs, although they are enough
>better to make a real difference in people's lives.

If not anything else, I dread the prospect of listening to that dyslexic moronic fratboy Bush for the next four years.

But I as I said earlier, the Dem's shift to the right is not a result of ideological blindness - but going where the votes are. This is a very conservative country, Justin, with all kinds of religious fanatics (2/3 of USers believe in hell - more than the percentage of population in other developed countries admitting any religious sentiments at all), petit bourgeoisie, and the new economy noveau riche crowd that tend to give a sympathetic ear to conservative ideologies focusing on individual success/responsibility while ignoring social and systemic ramifications of individual actions. The only way to overcoming that consrvative bias is through collective solidarity - and things simple ain't going that direction nowadays.

wojtek