election demographics

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 8 13:36:08 PST 2000

I still haven't provided the figures, but there is an obvious hypothesis to explain your puzzle. It's not that people have preferred more conservative candidates. It's that they haven't been offered more liberal ones. Why Reagan over Carter, Bush Sr over Dukakis, you ask? The thing is, these liberals were fleeing liberalism instead of trumpeting it--they treated it as something to be ashamed of, and in fact, bought into and reinforced ana ggressively conservative rhetoric. There is an old (1960s, I think) book on what Americans really think that I liked, can't remember the authors or title, have it around here somewhere, that argued that Americans go in for conservative global rhetoric and liberal concrete policies. --jks