down here in Tallahassee...

RE earnest at tallynet.com
Wed Nov 8 18:19:57 PST 2000

Hello, everyone. Sorry if this is a duplicate post. I live in Tallahassee, Florida and have had a number of conversations with Gore supporters over the course of the campaign. When I asked about their conversations with undecideds or Bush supporters, they often would refer to the “trust issue,” and talk about being kidded as a “yellow dog Democrat” (“they’d vote for a yellow dog if it was a Democrat”) for voting for someone who would, for example, “lie about fighting forest fires.” “We’re in trouble, he’s sounding like Clinton” was a common theme. So were winces and other manifestations of physiomoral discomfort.

Thus, from my loose sampling, for an important sector of the electorate down here, this mattered, big time, and Gore simply blew it. Whether we think of this as dumb mistakes, or as rooted in a character disorder of the sort Cockburn and St.Clair speculate about, his failure at this raw, behavioral level (ego scans subarticulate speech, recognizes failure in reality testing, anticipates shame, censors) to maintain a distinction between himself and Clinton cost him. At this superficial level, so important when policy differences narrow (not vanish!) and when you run a campaign of images, whatever mileage Gore might have gotten from other gestures like the convention kiss was lost when he couldn’t stop puffing himself up. Tripping over his spotlighted boasting, he made it more likely, inevitable, for people around here to think about the wearying evasions of the Clinton administration. (I suppose there’s a tragic note to this, but only because many will suffer; as far as Gore’s concerned, it’s farce. “They see him as another liar.” “He just can’t stop bullshitting.”)

This seems to be completely ignored by those progressives now moving in to trash Nader as a spoiler. (Yeah, I voted for Nader, sort of, by trading my Nader vote with a Massachusetts Gore supporter.) How does it happen that Gore himself, and the party/electoral system that props up his candidacy, is taken as a constant, a given, and anyone else is fair game for blame, a responsible actor? Why not turn on the Bush-voting Floridians who might have voted for Gore, but wouldn’t because he lied to them, right to their face? (“I couldn’t believe that he was saying that, right there, in the debates!”) After all, what’s so important about “trust,” it’s the “policy menu” that counts, right? On the other hand, why not grant Nader some structural considerations, even a pardon? Why not recognize that there’s some tragedy, non-farcical variety, in Nader’s position and decisions? If he asks his supporters to vote Gore, does that risk demoralizing them, gutting the struggling Green party? Does it confirm to the Dem elite that, in the end, the errant will return, and so they can continue to blow off the party’s left? Anyone who approaches these questions with the simple answer that “Ralph did it” either isn’t bothering to think, or they’re intent on a hatchet job. Randy Earnest