income in the Clinton years

John Gulick jlgulick at sfo.com
Wed Nov 8 23:53:16 PST 2000

To what do you or does anybody else attribute the relatively more rapid growth of African-American incomes, no matter the quintile ? I could hazard some theories but I'd probably be wasting my breath. In any event, unsurprisingly I think this phenomenon has something to do with the ever-more profound loyalty of black voters to the Dems and the hostility vented by the NAACP and other black "leaders" and "opinion-makers" (save radical academics like Manning Marable and Robin Kelley) toward Nader and the Greens. In the last 8 years those African-Americans that vote have been captivated by distributionist politics, despite the casualties of the drug war, welfare reform, etc. I'm not one to bemoan Nader "stealing" the election from Gore, but I do think that the politics of left ecology must begin and end with the largely minority urban working class, and the fallout from this election is going to sunder the building of a left ecology movement rooted in this constituency for quite some time. I hope I'm wrong.

John Gulick

Doug Henwood wrote:

There was a question about income growth during the Clinton years. Here are the Census figures by quintile and the top 5% - real income growth from 1992 to 1999.

all white black Hispanic poorest 14.9% 12.1% 26.5% 21.4% 2nd 13.2% 10.8% 34.9% 19.1% middle 12.4% 11.2% 26.8% 14.3% 4th 13.8% 13.0% 23.3% 14.6% top 25.2% 25.0% 28.1% 20.8%

top 5% 37.1% 38.0% 32.6% 30.1%