income in the Clinton years

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org
Thu Nov 9 06:56:24 PST 2000

For all my offtimes lesser-evil defense of Clintonism, even I am a bit shocked that poor blacks had as large growth in incomes as the top 20% of whites. I haven't seen the final exit polls on income voting for this election, but these results might explain both the slips in working class white support for Gore versus past elections and the intense support of blacks for the Clinton-Gore administration.

Apparently both white working class indifference and black intensity were both somewhat earned.

-- Nathan Newman

There was a question about income growth during the Clinton years. Here are the Census figures by quintile and the top 5% - real income growth from 1992 to 1999.

all white black Hispanic poorest 14.9% 12.1% 26.5% 21.4% top 25.2% 25.0% 28.1% 20.8%