down here in Tallahassee...

J. Barkley Rosser, Jr. rosserjb at jmu.edu
Thu Nov 9 07:49:08 PST 2000

If there was a single crucial blunder by Gore, it was his misstatements in the first debate. He was leading going into it and was declared the "winner" in the immediate polls afterwards. It was the reporting of and hammering on his stupid misstatements (went to Texas with the FEMA director, etc.) that turned it around and pushed Bush into the lead that he never lost until the very last day.

BTW, it appears that Nader also gave New Hampshire and (probably) Oregon to Bush. Without Florida, Gore would have won if he had taken both of those.

The margin in Wisconsin was only 6,000 or so, but Gore did get it.

BTW, the only state that Buchanan beat Nader where they were both running was Idaho, 7,000 to 5,000, although Buchanan's best percentage was in North Dakota at 3%. Nader's was in Alaska at 10%. Bush's best states were Wyoming, Idaho, and Utah, 69, 68, and 67%, although Utah gave Gore his lowest at 26%. Of course, Gore's best was D.C. at 85 to 9 for Bush and 5 for Nader, followed by Rhode Island (61, 32, 6, and 1 for Buchanan), and Massachusetts (60, 33, 6, and 0). Barkley Rosser -----Original Message----- From: RE <earnest at tallynet.com> To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Date: Wednesday, November 08, 2000 9:38 PM Subject: down here in Tallahassee...

>Hello, everyone. Sorry if this is a duplicate post.
>I live in Tallahassee, Florida and have had a number of conversations with
Gore
>supporters over the course of the campaign. When I asked about their
>conversations with undecideds or Bush supporters, they often would refer to
the
>“trust issue,” and talk about being kidded as a “yellow dog Democrat”
(“they’d
>vote for a yellow dog if it was a Democrat”) for voting for someone who
would,
>for example, “lie about fighting forest fires.” “We’re in trouble, he’s
sounding
>like Clinton” was a common theme. So were winces and other manifestations
of
>physiomoral discomfort.
>
>Thus, from my loose sampling, for an important sector of the electorate
down
>here,
>this mattered, big time, and Gore simply blew it. Whether we think of this
as
>dumb mistakes, or as rooted in a character disorder of the sort Cockburn
and
>St.Clair speculate about, his failure at this raw, behavioral level (ego
scans
>subarticulate speech, recognizes failure in reality testing, anticipates
shame,
>censors) to maintain a distinction between himself and Clinton cost him.
At this