Grand Funk drummer p.o.'d

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Nov 9 10:41:33 PST 2000

<http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/lc/20001109/en/grand_funk_drummer_says_florida_election_result_is_unbelievable_1.html>

Grand Funk Drummer Says Florida Election Result Is Unbelievable

(11/9/00, 7 a.m. ET) - No one can believe how Tuesday's (November 7) presidential election results turned out, least of all Florida resident and Grand Funk Railroad drummer Don Brewer. The man who played drums on the 1973 number one hit "We're An American Band" lives in the Jupiter area these days, and he's as amazed as everyone else about how things are going. Brewer thought that Florida would go for Texas Governor George W. Bush, and he was shocked when he heard the early predictions that Vice President Al Gore had scored an upset. He was even more stunned when all the talking heads on TV withdrew their Gore/Florida predictions.

As for what's going on now, Brewer told LAUNCH, "There's gonna be a major recount, and it's not gonna be decided quickly," he said. "Two hundred thousand votes decided the presidency nationwide on the popular vote. In the state of Florida, it's only 1,700 votes. Now, there definitely could be some errors there."

Brewer added that the closeness of this election has proved to him just how important every person's vote is. "I think it's wonderful that people are getting a chance to see that your vote really does count. For years, I thought, well, this Electoral College thing is crap, and it means that my vote doesn't mean anything. Well, it shows you exactly what it does mean. Every vote means something: who's gonna carry those Electoral College votes in that state."

-- Bruce Simon, New York