Summary of Nader analysis

Nancy Bauer/Dennis Perrin bauerperrin at mindspring.com
Thu Nov 9 15:27:23 PST 2000

Jan Carowan wrote
:
>[Ehrenreich] has done great harm, and should never again be allowed top
billing in a
>leftist publication. Her leftism is truly infantile of the drama queen sort.

Spoken like a true Stalinist. If you take part in the election, then you must support or otherwise complement the "serious" candidates -- the ones with state and/or corporate power -- or else you are a tool of repression. Abstain, and your critique has merit, except when it doesn't.

Jesus, I knew the fascist-baiting libs would be spitting blood, but I cannot believe the level of the rhetoric. Al Gore didn't sell out progressive values: Ralph Nader did. A "real" progressive is property of the corporate party state. Show any independence, regardless of "cost" (and here is where the real lunacy lies in their argument), and you are an egomaniacal spoiler who hates blacks and gays and doesn't care if the poor have shelter or food. You probably kick kittens, too.

This line of thinking is usually called projection. Coming from those who defend Gore as an opponent of tyranny --especially given his record and stated desires -- we may call this hyper-projection.

DP