election demographics

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 9 18:50:38 PST 2000

I agree. I think a winning progressive or populist liberal would not be entirely happy-making to the tweedy types in Ann Arbor (where I spent nine happy years),a nd of which I am an exemplar, Ph.D, pipe, loony left politics, and all. He would probably be pro-gun, support limited abortion rights, and be rather less green than we'd like, unless trees could be shown pretty sharply to save jobs. He'd talk a lot about families. I'm just guessing, but I think these are some issues on which a tough-class based _and antitiracist_ liberalism might have to compromise. He'd have to be sharply antiracist, because if he didn't mobilize minorities, he'd be doomed. --jks