Question re: Florida vote

/ dave / arouet at winternet.com
Thu Nov 9 19:30:05 PST 2000

Steve Perry wrote:

> AP reports say that the dems are asking for a hand-count in four counties

Is that like a hand-job? Doesn't surprise me.

Actually, the four counties in question are Volusia, Dade, Broward and Palm Beach.

Max wrote:

> This is prior to any contesting the results. By midnight
> the count is going to be in favor of Gore. You heard it
> here first. After that it depends on the absentee
> ballots.

Nah, I doubt it. It looks like Bush stays on top (229 ahead according to AP with only one county left to report), and with the absentee ballots his votes are likely to increase, not decrease. So then it comes down to whether or not the Dems are successful at getting legal action. Which they will, in one way or another, because there's too much momentum in that direction and in any case they will not back down. And when they are successful, then the Repugs will definitely go full-tilt with their push for a recount in Wisconsin and Iowa. It will get ugly.

But ultimately, if there's a re-vote in either Volusia or Palm Beach, Gore will likely jump by thousands (notwithstanding the inevitable 'get out the vote' on the part of the Repugs) - so the Repugs will do everything they can to keep that from happening.

--

/ dave /