Summary of Nader analysis

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 9 20:00:10 PST 2000

Conyers has a letter in the current Nation supporting Nader.

No, I don't mind criticism. We might be wrong: that's axiomatic. What I don't like is this language of betrayal and the threats that the left will be even more savagely sidelined than it has in the past. Nader didn't lose the election for Gore, if Gore loses. Gore lost it. He lost it for all the reasons that make people like me--former Democratic party activists, hardworking precinct door-knockers and caucaus-goers--support Nader and third party politics. Quite apart from all his lack of skill or attractiveness as a candidate, Gore followed the main line of DP for the last period, the DLC shift to the right. He alienated his base and tried--unsuccessfully--to appeal to the GOP base. I'd like to see some acknowledgement of that, rather than the supposition that all people of good will are supposed to close ranks behind a lesser evil tha is incresaingly evil.

In any case, I would like recriminations to cease. We do have a common program, those of us who have had it with the Dems and those of you who stick with them. You sketched that program quite effectively. Rather than your blaming us for a possible loss which is your own lesser evil's damn fault, and indeed rather than us pretending that the evil isn't lesser for all that, why don't we unite on the considerable cnmmon ground that we have until the next election?

As for the cop analogy, I was noting the comparison to the closedown of freec assembly and speech rights when protest matters. In one case it's carried out by cops. In another case, the present one, by less reprehensible but still ugly and nasty means. The latter is worse for us because we can do something about it directly: we need each other, liberals and radicals, and we had better recognize and act upon that. Mostly you recognize this, which is why you are normally a constructive critic.

--jks