Chucking the electoral college

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Nov 10 08:34:04 PST 2000

Michael Pollak wrote:

>On Thu, 9 Nov 2000, Brad DeLong wrote:
>
>> It would be the right thing to do. Which means that it is unlikely to
>> happen...
>
>Now comrade, where's your faith in collective action gone? We need to
>organize. Let the real national civics lesson begin.

As Dan Lazare pointed out on my radio show last night, since the EC magnifies the vote of smaller states, it would be unimaginable that a sufficient number would agree to a consitituional amendment eliminating the EC. Eliminating the Senate, an even greater democratic imperative, is even more impossible, since that would require the consent of all 50 states.

Doug