Clinton the spoiler

Lisa & Ian Murray seamus at accessone.com
Fri Nov 10 08:41:45 PST 2000

>>This is
despite the fact that two-thirds of voters polled also said that they thought the country was heading in the right direction economically, which should have given Mr Gore an easy victory." *********

This is the problem. The planet will not take another 100 years of the USA without getting weird in ways we don't yet understand and, given the likelihood that the collective level of scientific literacy necessary to sustain what little democracy via shouting matches we still have may not increase sufficiently to facilitate a maturity of dialogue, we may not have the wherewithal to make the decisions that will ameliorate the problems via the current institutional arrangements.

I don't know about anybody else, but I don't want Silicon Valley types and their technological determinist perspective to swamp us with even more commodities and gadgets, let alone another century of marketing and advertizing that's done on their behalf. It is this "class" of problems and issues that makes me really wonder about whether the terms liberal, centrist, conservative, whathaveyou and their accompanying perspectives are of any use whatsoever anymore.

Ian