election demographics

Brad DeLong delong at econ.Berkeley.EDU
Fri Nov 10 13:26:34 PST 2000

>As I see it, national elections in the United States are in
>the mystical, church-like category. Participation is rational
>if the participants get a good feeling out of it, but it is
>not an expression of collective will -- the will of the
>individual non-elite participant doesn't matter.

Except that the individual non-elite participant--hell, the individual elite participant--doesn't have a separate, individualized "will". What I "will" and think is the result of a lot of social interactions I have had and will have. And so everything I "will" is simultaneously willed by all those others who have been affected by similar social interactions in the same way.

The fact that other people will what I will greatly amplifies the power of my will, if you get the drift...

Brad DeLong