Volusia County results may be attributable to computer error.

Andy Martin almartin at uchicago.edu
Fri Nov 10 17:30:19 PST 2000

The Daytona Beach News-Journal indicates that the big discrepancies in the Volusia county vote were actually the cause of a disk error in a computer. It looks like these votes were nonexistent, as opposed to missing Gore votes as I initially suspected. http://www.news-journalonline.com/2000/Nov/9/AREA1.htm

I think there are still questions about the accuracy of Volusia's recount: There are a number of discrepancies from the original count to the recount that the news-journal story doesn't answer on point:

11/7: Total Votes= 198,320 (http://elect.cbsig.net/campaign2000results/county/county_flop-0.html) 11/8: Total Votes= 183,256 (http://volusia.org/11-8c-00.htm)

7%V= percentage won in Volusia county (as reported 11/7). 7%S= percentage won in the rest of the state (all counties excluding Volusia). (as reported 11/7). 8%V= percentage won in Volusia county (as reported 11/8). MISSING VOTES=15064

GORE BUSH BUCHANAN NADER

BROWNE

11/7: 97,063 82,214 396 2,436

3,211

7%V: 48.94 41.45 .20 1.23

1.62

7%S: .4708 .4735 .284 1.581

.0262

11/8: 97,063 82,214 496 2,903

442

8%V 52.96 44.863 .2707 1.584

.2412

HAEGLIN HARRIS MCREYNOLDS MOOREHEAD PHILLIPS

33 9,888 3 59

2,927

7%V: .0166 4.99 .0015 .0297

1.48

7%S: .0375 .00973 .02124 .0295

.0227

11/8: 36 8 5 69

20

8%V: .0196 .0044 .00273 .03765

.0109

The final result of Volusia county may be clear upon a hand recount demanded by Gore officials. I believe that will occur this weekend. It is curious that there is no official explanation given by the county officials in charge of overseeing the recount. They reported that

"The Canvassing Board for Volusia County's general election

completed the state mandated recount of the Presidential vote

at 8 p.m., Wednesday, November 8. There were no changes in

the unofficial returns in the Presidential race. There are changes from the unofficial returns - the above numbers make that clear.

I'm wondering about the validity of the numbers in this county if there are changes in the vote totals of _every single candidate_ other than Gore and Bush from the original vote to the recount.

It unfortunately looks like my theory was wrong. There is still something going on in Volusia county, but it is not as significant as it initially looked.

Andy Martin University of Chicago