Nader cost himself federal funds (Re: election demographics)

John Gulick jlgulick at sfo.com
Fri Nov 10 23:18:59 PST 2000

Nathan,

I hope you don't think I'm one of the "defensive" (much less "offensive") ones. I was a Nader voter, not a Nader supporter. In other words, since I live in a "safe" state (CA), I could cast a vote to signify my disgust with the Dems, and at the same time not castigate anyone who chose to vote for Gore. Purely a private and essentially meaningless existential choice. "Meaningless" because the DLC, as feared, interprets Nader's tiny clump of votes as no significant threat. In that sense, I might have been better off voting for someone closer to my ideological orientation (although that begs the question of who), but didn't do so b/c Nader was the official "protest" candidate. And you're right, purely from the point of view of maximizing his totals so as to constitute a heavier check on the Dems (not to mention getting the 5 percent for the Greens), Nader could have probably run a better campaign. But the fact that he didn't doesn't upset me, either, since I don't really believe in the whole "pressure the Dems to be more progressive" approach. I'm a social movements guy, not an electoral politics guy (i.e. in terms of strategy, not neccesarily in terms of intellectual interest). Or at least not an electoral politics guy until I find some kind of red-green party w/potential for mass membership (i.e. not the Greens).

Anyway, the Dems aren't that much less progressive than they might otherwise be, given the global political-economic context. It's no coincidence that labor and social dem parties the world over have all become "Third Wayers." And I don't think Gore did as badly as many here on that list seem to think he did. The Dems scare tactics certainly worked to bring out the core constituency in Pennsylvania, Michigan, and -- whatever the eventual outcome -- Florida. He's going to win the popular vote. If the electoral college was weighted according to population (i.e. didn't include Senators in addition to Representatives) he would've won the electoral college without Florida or Oregon. There was no Perot to peel off Republican voters. He had no chance in the Rocky Mountain states, the Great Plains states, and the South -- right-wing populist cultural conservatism, augmented by Gore's undeserved reputation as an environmentalist, gave him no chance in these states, whatever the condition of the economy. He actually pulled off a delicate balancing act pretty well. None of which is to say that I don't find the strident exasperation of Dem elected officials, party hacks, middle-class feminists, the NAACP, etc., truly pathetic.

On the one hand, I'm hoping that Gore will win b/c over the last 8 years the various and sundry tendencies on the left have started to master all the political weak points of the corporate liberal ideology of which Gore is emblematic, and who wants 8 years of hard intellectual and organizing work to go down the drain ? Who wants to fend off Lynne Cheney's attacks on "political correctness" from a liberal point of view when we should be attacking "multiculturalism" from a left point of view ? Who wants to dissect and oppose Kissingerian imperialism when we should be dissecting and opposing "human rights" interventionism ? From my own point of view, I'd rather be diagnosing and critiquing Gore's managerialist approach to "sustainable capitalism" than defending the ANWR from petroleum exploration and drilling. I think you get my drift.

On the other hand, with four more years of Dems in national office, the Sagebrush Rebellion Part II, militias, Christian Identity, etc. in the U.S.' outback will only intensify -- per the post that Pugliese just sent out. It'd be nice to have Bush in office if only these hard-pressed rural folks come to recognize that fed agencies specifically under Clinton-Gore (agents of globalism, the UN, Jewish bankers, etc.) are not the problem, but something more structural and less conspiratorial is. But fat chance of that, anyway.

Sorry to all LBO'ers for the length of this post.

John Gulick