Challenging the Black & Feminist Talented Tenth (was economic stats...)

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri Nov 10 23:55:17 PST 2000

>The horrors of U.S. capitalism are clear and overwhelming enough even on
>the stats as they come to us, no matter how twisted. So why this endless
>argument about the margins of the substance we know without haggling?
>
>Carrol

In my case (I don't speak for John Halle), I have a modest political proposal: to challenge the black & feminist Talented Tenth (represented, for instance, by NAACP, NARAL, etc.). I've been annoyed by the Nader/Green campaign's lukewarm & lackluster responses to the challenges from liberal blacks & feminists. I think that the Nader/Green campaign should have properly studied economic stats; demonstrated that _black & feminist Talented Tenths have indeed economically benefited from the Clinton years whilst the poorest blacks & women suffered from them_; and argued that _economic polarization among blacks & women_ can account for their Yellow Dog Democrat/Third Way political stance that has failed, nay refused, to punish the Dems for the wars on crimes & drugs; the abolition of AFDC; etc. To fully de-legitimate the Democratic Party, it appears that we must, among other things, push the wedge between black & feminist elites and those whose interests they claim to represent; and I think it is possible to do so without sounding sectarian, by emphasizing empirical facts & building grassroots bases among blacks & women unclaimed & unrepresented by the Talented Tenth. This tactic is of necessity divisive & will be initially unpopular, but the CP used it successfully in their aggressive bid to represent the Scottsboro Boys, exposing the NAACP's unwillingness to defend the possibly guilty (horrors!) in the South & in the process even winning over former black nationalists, former NAACP supporters, etc. I don't know if Nader & the Greens are up for it, though, for I think that Katha is correct to say that the CP had a lot more "moxie," partisan discipline, organizational savvy, etc. than Nader/the Greens, David McReynolds/the SP, etc. do.

Yoshie