America mocked

M.J.Medjeral mario at medjeral.uklinux.net
Sat Nov 11 01:26:15 PST 2000

Chris Burford wrote:

> Underneath the resentment of the USA's hegemonic position in the
> world is an awareness that the institutional corruption of US
> politics corrupts the politics of the world.

At least! American postmodern politics abroad backfires to its own domestic scenario. For us, foreigners, there is Schadenfreude, why not. We have been told, for decades, that our views, whatever we thought, were wrong. Have you ever been at any american sponsored conference for Latin America or Asia? Did you listen to the american talk on democracy, free markets, moral standards and the paraphernalia of goodies you are supposed to get if you embrace the 'Empire's' proven standards? The election issue is a typical sample of american postmodern politics. Reality does not matter, especially when reality does not conform with what is thought should be the outcome. The outcome must be 'forced' to conform to the view adopted. Welcome to the dictatorship of virtuality!