Nader cost himself federal funds (Re: election demographics

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org
Sat Nov 11 07:42:25 PST 2000

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tom Waters" <tjwaters at earthlink.net> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com>

Nathan Newman <nathan at newman.org> wrote:

> Nader supporters act as if voters are all a bunch of mindless pawns - Dem
> supporters being stupid masochists and now even potential Nader supporters
> mindless victims of "liberal Dem" propaganda.

-It's impermissible to differ with working class voters over which vote -would be rational, OK. The only irrational voters are elitists who vote -against Democrats out of a false sense of superiority, OK. -But now how do you explain working class votes for Bush?

I never said Nader voters were irrational, just choosing a poor strategy. And about half of them decided at the last moment that it was a bad strategy and switched over to Gore. The people I think are being irrational is the Green leadership and defenders on this list who refuse to analyze if a different Nader strategy might have led to less defection over to Gore in the safe states. Nader folks want to attribute all of that defection to liberal Dem propaganda, while refusing to analyze where Nader's own leadership may have contributed to their voting Gore in the end.

As for working people supporting Bush, for a lot of folks, guns and abortion are important issues to them and override economic self-interest, especially where Dems prevent often weak alternatives to GOP corporate policies.

-- Nathan Newman