economic stats (as if people mattered)

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Nov 11 14:05:20 PST 2000

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> >[CLIP] but i just wanted
> >to point out that "polish" doesn't mean "white".
> >
> >kelley
>
> You mean as often as blacks, Latinos, and even Arabs get stopped &
> harassed?

Manning Marable, speaking in Chicago a few years ago, said that in the 1980s when there was a heavy Irish migration to Boston, that these Irish got on the boat in Liverpool as Irish and got off the boat in Boston as whites. His argument was that these immigrants *could* have united with the Haitian immigrants who were fighting anti-immigrant conditions at the time but *chose* the opportunistic route of uniting with whites as whites rather than with immigrants as immigrants.

The cops will at one time or another harass anyone. You should have seen the side of my blond blue-eyed son 12 years ago after he had run and made a grandfatherly old white cop chase him. But such examples while they illuminate what cops are, merely obscure racial oppression and ought not even be mentioned when the topic is cops and blacks.

Carrol