Must-See Movies for the Black and/or "Feminist" Talented Tenth

Nancy Bauer/Dennis Perrin bauerperrin at mindspring.com
Sat Nov 11 17:34:06 PST 2000

>>>David O. Russell, _Three Kings_ (with a bit of Ice Cube), 1999
>
>Yeah, the ultimate agitprop for human rights interventionism, going so far
>as to legitimate it by acknowledging and apolgizing for the U.S. carpet-bombing
>of non-combatants. Basically an ad for how Clinton foreign policy mythically
>presents itself, as opposed to the realities of Bush foreign policy.
>
>But also a visually interesting and complex ("ironic") flick as well ...
>
>John G.

You got that impression? I thought "Three Kings" beautifully exposed the real policy behind the Gulf War, especially its aftermath, when the US allied itself with Saddam in order to supress the Shia uprising in the south (the Kurdish uprising wasn't dramatized). The main plot ran along "Dirty Dozen" lines, but to dismiss this film as "agitprop" for the bombing of Serbia is rather farfetched, in my view.

DP