Nathan and Florida

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 12 08:42:42 PST 2000

>From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>
>
>I'd love to see a serious extended investigation of vote
>fraud around the U.S., not to mention serious scrutiny of the
>intentional anti-democratic structures of U.S. electoral practice
>(from technical stuff like ballot access through the systemic stuff
>like divided government and the Senate). I suspect that sometime in
>the next few days, after Gore folds, all the critiques of our
>pseduo-democracy will disappear, except maybe for some maligned
>Greens and other assorted malcontents, the very people now derided as
>spoilers.
>
>Doug

Yes, the establishment wants to get the lid back on this Pandora's box pronto. I love the toe-tapping impatience of R. W. Apple's "News Analysis: Experts Contend a Quick Resolution Benefits Nation and Candidates" in today's NY Times. The lead: "Another week and no more. By next weekend, a group of scholars and senior politicians interviewed this weekend agreed, the presidential race of 2000 must be resolved, without recourse to the courts. With remarkable unanimity [lol!], they said that would be in the nation's best interests and, in the last analysis, those of the candidates, Vice President Al Gore and Gov. George W. Bush of Texas."

I feel a liberal consensus developing whose centripetal force could out suck the gravitational pull of a black hole. Believe me, in short order no light will be able to escape the all-consuming draw of the proclaimed urgent need to Put This All Behind Us.