Summary of Nader analysis

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 12 19:14:37 PST 2000

Well of course if Bush is anointed or elected or whatever, we will not have a Gore presidency as a comparison point, and vice versa. But I think as I have said before that we Nader supports and third party supporters generally should not be afraid to grant that therea re significant differences between the two parties, particularly in things that do not affect globalization and foreign policy (although the Repugs are often somewhat better there), and that the Dems are often better.

Moreover, we have to say that the more successful a third party becomes, trhe worse it will hurt the Democrats, and that a third party cannot hope to be a contender for some time to come. So we are advocatoinga course of action that involves "spoiling," would have the effect of throwing elections, and denying ourseves and our constituencies the real of somewhat marginal advantages that the Democrats would bring.

We have to advocate this not because there are no such advantages, but because the alternative is giving up on the left and the prospect of social change that is more than marginal and consigned to the right-ward drifting vagueries of the Dems.

Be clear: anyone who tells you, like Nathan, taht there si no alternative but the Dems is telling you that there is no alternative, no hope, and nothing left of the left. That's what Brad says: we are in the Iron Cage,a nd we cannot ever get out. That may be true, but I'm not convinced yet.

--jks