Bulgarian election prospects

Peter van Heusden pvh at egenetics.com
Mon Nov 13 03:29:06 PST 2000

On Mon, 13 Nov 2000, elena wrote:

> Er, another way of looking at this is that lack of any change for the
> better, along with a 19th c. line ab politicians in general ("they are all
> bastards, anyway") has succeeded in effectively 'passivising' voters (i.e.
> extremely low turn-up at elections; symbolic protest against 'em all by
> non-voting). If that trend persists, we'll have probably a marginal victory
> for a left coalition with (the less voters, the more) trumps in the Movement
> for Rights and Freedom. And if this happens, whoever_gets_to_play won't be
> able to do much, especially with the predictable (?) less friendly attitude
> of the current Big Brothers. It's a zug-zwang situation.

We're seeing a massive decline in interest in the elections in South Africa, but it is combined with a replacement of the electoral by other political forms (e.g. civics, some spots of direct action against assaults on services). Any sign of that in Bulgaria?

Peter P.S. the funniest/saddest thing I've seen in South Africa has been the apparent emergence of a pyramid scheme (Miracle 2000) as a political organisation. -- Peter van Heusden <pvh at egenetics.com> NOTE: I do not speak for my employer, Electric Genetics "Criticism has torn up the imaginary flowers from the chain not so that man shall wear the unadorned, bleak chain but so that he will shake off the chain and pluck the living flower." - Karl Marx, 1844