CO2 2050

Lisa & Ian Murray seamus at accessone.com
Mon Nov 13 09:01:18 PST 2000

[if anybody's following the IGPCC meeting in the Netherlands, this ain't good news for the kiddies and dovetails well [badly] with Peter Vitousek's research on human appropriation of plant space.....]

http://www.newscientist.com/dailynews/news.jsp?id=ns9999153 Growth factor The first climate model to incorporate realistic plant life produces dismal predictions

A new climate model that incorporates realistic plant life suggests much faster global warming than previously predicted.

Peter Cox and his colleagues at the Hadley Centre in Berkshire, England, http://www.meto.govt.uk/sec5/sec5pg1.html have created the first model that takes into account interactions between plant growth and other environmental factors, such as temperature and carbon dioxide levels.

The results are dismal. By 2050, Cox predicts that the biosphere will make a quick switch from sucking up a small amount of carbon dioxide to belching out a lot.

Land temperatures could rise significantly - by 6 °C instead of the 4 °C predicted by models that don't allow for changing patterns of vegetation.

"The severity of this surprised us," says Cox. "We didn't anticipate the biosphere would be this important."

Using 'coupled' models is vital, says Ian Woodward, a vegetation modeller from the University of Sheffield, England: "What we've got now is the best way forward."