BW on EC

Seth Ackerman SAckerman at FAIR.org
Mon Nov 13 14:26:37 PST 2000

> ----------

---

I think you're missing the point. The other day, Richard Gephardt was asked on CNN what he thought of the budget that was just passed, which used 90% of next year's surplus to pay down debt. He said he wished we could pay down 90% of the next *five* years' surpluses.

Is that what labor-liberal Richard Gephardt really thinks? Probably not. He's just mouthing the official Democratic Party line. If he weren't part of the Democratic structure, he might say -- no, what's with this obsession with paying down the debt? Let's use the surplus for, say, serious public investment.

Seth