How Nathan's team gets out the black vote

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Mon Nov 13 14:51:40 PST 2000

. . . The bottom line is that the larger the percentage of the Dem vote made up of african americans, union households, latinos and other base voters, the more the Dems have to pay attention to those voters for fear of their "defection", not defection to a third party but to not voting at all. -- Nathan Newman

The post-bottom line is what a wonder it is, how much labor and minorities contribute to the Dems' campaigns, and how little they get in return. W/o labor and minorities, Gore would be the deadest duck in the universe.

I'm not offended by the depiction of vote mobilization. This is politics on the ground. Nobody should not expect it to be pretty. When we did our big anti-Fed demo in Washington in 1994, an unemployed workers advocacy group filled a couple of buses by promising the men a free lunch.

If anybody read Cullen's piece, it was interesting to note that Gore hampered some Congressional campaigns by keeping Clinton out of 'battleground' states like Michigan. One could make a reasonable argument that Gore's unease w/ Clinton harmed Dem congressional races as much as Nader harmed Gore. If I had a choice between the present Congress and Gore in the WH, or Dem majorities in both Houses and Bush, I would jump for door number two in a hot minute.

mbs