Alterman: Left in Shambles

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Nov 13 17:17:04 PST 2000

Doug Henwood wrote:

>Art McGee wrote:
>
>>I think that there's
>>also a valid criticism to made of the Left that they often
>>fail to ignore the damage that self-hatred and self-sabotage
>>do to people.
>
>Does that include voting for Democrats?

I wasn't being flippant with that question. All the liberals who normally despise "identity" claims - Eric Alterman prominent among them - have been citing Gore's near-90% share of the black vote as proof of his superiority. To me, that seems sad evidence of the lack of serious alternatives to the status quo. What do you think?

Doug