War In Afghanistan?

Gordon Fitch gcf at panix.com
Mon Nov 13 17:25:16 PST 2000

Gordon wrote:
> >I received the following material from a more-or-less
> >right-wing mailing list someone subscribed me to for some
> >reason -- probably something I posted on Usenet. I have no
> >idea whatever of its veracity.
> >
> >An attack on Afghanistan would probably be a fairly popular
> >way to get America _back_on_track_ after the extended humor
> >of the election follies. Nobody likes Afghanistan. So it
> >doesn't seem all that outlandish to me.

Wojtek Sokolowski:
> Quite unlikely. Have you looked at the map? Technology offers little
> advantage in this mountainous terrain - caualties would be extremely heavy.
> Not a popular war at all.

I wasn't thinking only of invasion, and I don't think the other writers were, either. That's why I said "attack", which might include heavy bombing (including large missiles), commando raids on soft targets, and actions by newly resupplied proxy forces (Afghan competitors of the Taliban). The object would be gratifaction of the folks at home plus further terrorization of the Third World, not a substantial political change. The Taliban could be left in place for future uses of a similar nature.