Alterman: Left in Shambles

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 13 19:10:01 PST 2000

West's work on pragmatism _is_ mediocre--not awful, not brilliant, just OK. But it _is_ OK, and people interest in pragmatism could do worse than loook to The American Evasion of Philosophy as a starting point. I think West's subsequent work has been pretty dull and second rate, not even mediocre. Race Matters is just puditry.

As for my snobbery, the degree I'm proudest of is my decidedly non-elite J.D. from Ohio State College of Law, which represents the best educational experience I ever had. Judge Posner was never a teacher or colleague of mine, nor was West. I am amazed that Jan remembers that David Papineau _was_ a teacher of mine; I don't think I've mentioned that; never had occasion to remark it. His name doesn't come up much in these circles.

-jks

If he were to be honest,