send lawyers, guns and money

Peter K. peterk at enteract.com
Tue Nov 14 06:25:51 PST 2000

I'm wondering what the best way to use Indecision 2000 as evidence against the capitalist system. I think Nader raised many good points during his campaign, main point being that *both* parties are more responsive to corporate desires (in exchange for campaign funds) than to society at large. Money rules. Is it any wonder that "statesmanship" is at something of a discount these days?

Is it worthwhile to point out what capitalism has done to the culture? (just free associating here) It seems that society is based simply on the profit motive and competition. Instead of a government of laws, not men, we have a government of lawyers, not men. (legal) Knowledge is power. Instead of "bowling alone" as a sign of the times and the sign of a loss of "community," isn't a much better symptom the litigiousness of society and the fact people are often forced to sue (i.e. Ralph Nader) in order to get a minimum of justice?

Peter