Alterman: Left in Shambles

Chuck0 chuck at tao.ca
Tue Nov 14 08:13:05 PST 2000

Art McGee wrote:

> If we had proportional representation at the national level
> and a radical political party that would push things like
> a national living wage, reparations, universal health care,
> free universal education, etc., the Democratic party would
> be ground into dust.
>
> The issue of proportional representation in some form is the
> key to breaking the grip of the Democrats on Black folks and
> the working class in general, and one of the reasons why the
> Democrats will probably fight the hardest against it. The
> Democrats are probably more scared than the Republicans of
> what would happen if PR ever went national in this country.

While I stick to my anarchist line about how to effect long term social change, I'd have to agree that proportional representation would be a significant change for this empire, ahem, country.

As a neutral observer, I would say that those people who want to reform the system would spend their time wisely by getting proportional representation implemented, as opposed to building third parties. The best place to start would be the local level. If the alternative parties are to ever have a chance, the rules have to be changed first.

Chuck0 Choose and Lose http://www.infoshop.org/voting.html