Advantage Bush?

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Tue Nov 14 11:18:09 PST 2000

On Tue, 14 Nov 2000, Nathan Newman wrote:

> So what? Not that anyone wants it to go that long, but most hand
> recounts have happened AFTER state certification of local returns and
> have overturned elections months later.

Yeah, but they weren't presidential elections that were overturned.

I dunno, Nathan. Getting the Florida secretary of state to declare the vote over is a much much better trick than their original plea for injunction. If the Bush camp had thought of this in the first place, they'd never have filed in federal court. With this morning's ruling against extension of the 5pm deadline, all the lawsuits will once again be on the Gore side. It feels to me as if the Bush camp has found a winner in their effort to squelch the hand recount they would have lost. Though I'd love to proven wrong.

Michael