Nathan is right

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Nov 14 12:04:21 PST 2000

Michael Perelman wrote:

> Nathan is probably right about the scenario I suggested -- that Gore's
> stock will increase among the Demos. Sadly,

This matters if and only if there is a material possibility of the Democratic Party coming to represent progressive interests. Lingering hopes of this (as exhibited, for example, in discussion of this or that particular trend within the party) tend to distract attention and energy from the difficult (perhaps even impossible but certainly necessary) task of building a progressive movement outside the electoral system. Such a task does not preclude engaging in electoral activity of one sort or another, nor does it *either* preclude *or* necessitate the eventual building of a "third party" at the national level. It *does* preclude working within the Democratic Party or trying to influence the direction of the Democratic Party.

And it *does* necessitate centering that (hoped for) movement in the struggle against white and male supremacy, *particularly* as embodied in groups or institutions which are or pretend to be part of the left. As far as I can tell, the *only* organized force in the U.S. at the present time which gives promise of being part of such a movement is the BRC.

No fact about the Democratic Party (other than its sheer existence) can be "sad."

Carrol