The Bush Plan: Overkill!

Steve Perry sperry at usinternet.com
Tue Nov 14 19:52:01 PST 2000

i suspect you're right, with one caveat: the self-styled martyrdom of the eventual losers may have some staying power in memory, especially if bush wins via quashing recounts or getting them rejected. and i don't just mean among hard-core dems; i think it will offend a lot of people's sense of fair play. (and i say that as a nader supporter who was entirely comfortable with defeating al gore in the process.)

but i agree with you regarding the fate of the winner. there will be a few months of pundits braying about the absence of mandate & opposition party leaders trying to make political capital of the situation, and then the prez term will proceed pretty much as any other, possibly w/ some residual drag in approval ratings.

-----Original Message----- From: owner-lbo-talk at lists.panix.com [mailto:owner-lbo-talk at lists.panix.com]On Behalf Of Carrol Cox Sent: Tuesday, November 14, 2000 9:42 PM To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com Subject: Re: The Bush Plan: Overkill!

Steve Perry wrote:

> course, there's a countervailing political reason for bush to pile on this
> way despite the immediate political cost; even if he and harris prevail,
it
> might be more costly still to let the votes be counted and the results be
> disclosed publicly.
>
> either way he's fucked. al would have to drag this out for 2-3 weeks more
in
> court to accumulate the kind of negatives bush has already got.

You know, a rather large proportion of the public may know nothing about this. And those that are paying attention are those whose minds are already made up. So it really probably isn't costing anyone anything. I saw a few scenes on cable of a rather bad movie, *Elizabeth*, and in one of the scenes I saw one character who is about to lose his head (literally) says "The people will remember me," and the other character says, "No, they will forget." Aside from political groupies I doubt very many people will remember the events more than a few months. "Just more politics" they will say, shrugging.

I'm not being cynical or sneering at the public. I'm describing what seems to me a very sensible reaction.

Carrol