Black Exodus (was Re: Alterman: Left in Shambles)

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Tue Nov 14 20:53:34 PST 2000

Hi Nathan:

No, I'm not sure. It's just a prediction based upon history. The history of American unionism has been not a story of linear progress but one of the rise and fall of different movements (as Peter Rachleff argues in the last chapter of _Hard-Pressed in the Heartland: The Hormel Strike and the Future of the Labor Movement_, Boston: South End Press, 1993). And the point is that the next black exodus will come in the process of a new type of labor movement organizing the unorganized massively (or a social change & movement of _comparable magnitude_), if it comes at all.

Yoshie