Labor Leaders Supporting Union Democracy? (Re: Black Exodus

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Wed Nov 15 09:03:24 PST 2000

All that is well-taken. I'm not on a mission re: union leadership and rank-and-file democracy. I have not followed such developments closely. It's great insofar as Int'ls are fomenting democracy in their locals; it does seem unlikely they would so so in each other's locals. That would probably convulse the Federation. We can see how it played out with the IBT.

mbs

Funny you should say that, since at the National Lawyers Guild's workshop on rank-and-file union democracy, organized by Public Citizen's main union democracy guy, he along with a number of other union democracy lawyers noted that while most unions are hardly thrilled at union democracy, in many cases they have encouraged union democracy efforts in other unions they work with when the corruption interferes with strong organizing efforts. . . .