The Bourgeoisie's Courts

Wed Nov 15 10:01:20 PST 2000

I'm with the Yale Law School school of legal realism. The law is what result we get in the cases. Look at what they do, not what they say.

The Rehnquist and Burger courts have substantially abated the areas of legality of affirmative action ( not just in higher education) pursuant to the reverse discrimination doctrine with a perverse interpretation of the 14th Amendment. It is perverse because the 14th Amendment was made law with the idea of abating discrimination against Black people , and not vica versa, because there was no reverse discrimination at the time, and even the most racist slave owner would have found it absurd to think of discrimination in favor of Black people as a problem.

Anyway, that at law there are theoretically a few tiny islands of potential legal affirmative action does not compensate for the dominant trend of court decision results holding affirmative action plans illegal, leading to your prediction that the Univ. of Mich plan will lose in the 6th Circuit.

Charles

>>> jkschw at hotmail.com 11/15/00 12:45PM >>>
The law _as it literally reads,_ if you look at the cases, does not ban affirmative action, and in fact allows for it. I wrote a comment on this in the Ohio State L.J. for 1997; it's posted on the net, I believe. I don't think the law is in accord with a proper read of the 14A, but it would allow for affirmative action in lot of contexts. The problem is that even the S.Ct does not actually apply the law it writes. --jks