Black Exodus (was Re: Alterman: Left in Shambles)

Chuck0 chuck at tao.ca
Wed Nov 15 10:20:10 PST 2000

Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

> At 04:04 PM 11/15/00 +0000, Justin wrote:
> >What makes you think that the left is too weak to get its own institutions
> >going, but powerful enough to take the Democratic Party away from its
> >owners? --jks
>
> That is an excellent point, Justin! Perhaps the most troublesome trait of
> the US left is its small-town attitude toward organizations - be it
> economic or political. They fear large organizations and party discipline
> and feel that a bunch of yahoos with shotguns can defeat the city hall and,
> for that matter, the state.

wojtek: Need I remind you that little less than a year ago a network of yahoos shut down the meetings of the WTO in Seattle. In September, another network of yahoos forced the IMF to close its meeting early. In the former example, our success was helped by the complete absence of the usual Left parasite groups who want to instill party discipline on us.

There is still a need for large organizations, but thank goodness "party discipline" has been buried with all the other bad ideas from the 20th century.

Chuck0