US cheats to beat the heat....

Lisa & Ian Murray seamus at accessone.com
Wed Nov 15 15:02:11 PST 2000

les schaffer

-----------------------------

Nature 408, 184 - 187 (2000) © Macmillan Publishers Ltd.

>> Acceleration of global warming due to carbon-cycle feedbacks in a

coupled climate model

Nature 408, 187 - 190 (2000) © Macmillan Publishers Ltd.

>> Offset of the potential carbon sink from boreal forestation by

decreases in surface albedo

RICHARD A. BETTS

Hadley Centre for Climate Prediction and Research, The Met Office ,

Bracknell, Berkshire RG12 2SY, UK

Judging from the abstracts it seems his models have left out the forest products industry proposals via the "global free logging agreement" to increase pulp and paper production by 3-5% a year until........Those folks have their eyes on Siberia, Alaska etc., the Brazilian Congress is getting ready to vote on a bill that would reduce the Amazon to approximately half it's current size and yaddah yaddah yaddah. So much for dematerialization of the economy. Back of the envelope calculations by myself and other folks in Seattle prior to last N30 gave "unmanaged" forests well less than a century based on the data from the forest products industry. Did the WTO really think we were gonna take their pillage and plunder without a fight? We all know a tree farm ain't a forest. Additionally [sorry to bum everyone out], the models leave out the global nitrogen cycle http://csf.colorado.edu/ecol-econ/aug97/0010.html

Save the soil! Stop plate tectonics,

Ian