Media is Bizarre on Bush-Gore Race

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org
Wed Nov 15 20:20:16 PST 2000

The media is acting very strange with its not-so-subtle drumbeat for Gore to concede the race. Oddly, Gore is ahead in the popular vote. He is ahead in the electoral college vote minus Florida. And he has basically won every court decision so far in Florida on the hand recounts.

In a sense, the only explanation is that the media called the election for Bush and they institutionally don't want to be proven wrong after all their earlier mistakes.

But at this point, I feel pretty confident in saying that there will be a hand recount of the major counties under discussion that will be added to Gore's total. Since news is that the absentee ballots, especially the military ones, are lower than predicted, that seems likely to tip the election to Gore.

Looks like I'll be paying up my bet to Seth.

-- Nathan Newman